Friday 16 March 2012

The planning begins

The next painting will be going up on the blog tomorrow so for today I thought I'd flesh out some of my aims for this project and answer some of the questions that have been coming up.

Thank you so much for all the words of support and encouragement I have received. It's been really overwhelming how many people get this and believe in my idea of letting go in this way.  There have also been mentions of terror and shock, but I'm assured these reactions were short-lived, so all good so far...

After the initial stomach lurching moment of going live on Wednesday and feeling the enormity of what I’m doing, I have focused on embracing the unknown and throwing myself into the practical side of things.  There is a lot to be thankful for and excited about whatever the outcome.

I've been asked about the auctions themselves, so I want to clarify a few things regarding my plans.  My aim is to rent a vacant shop or commercial property in central Brighton within a month to host the 10 day exhibition for the duration of the eBay auctions.  This means I won't be sending out links to the auctions until the exhibition is ready to open.  I will keep you updated here as well as on Facebook and Twitter.

My first major project is to find the space for the exhibition.  After some initial research, I have been told that some landlords are keen to support the art scene here as it brings so many visitors to the city.  It's also usually better to have a space filled if only for a short time rather than leaving it empty, so I am hopeful!

A few people have picked up on the theme of stepping outside the art mainstream and I will be coming back to this in future blogs.  Ideas around what the art world is and whether/how I can be a part of it have been a constant presence in my career and I'll be interested to discover where this project sits within that.

Tomorrow: painting number 2, Believe.

1 comment:

  1. Hey reading this I can see what an important and brave and valuable process this is for you to do, and I'm really sorry about how I reacted when you first told me! I'm in awe about this now, and really amazed by your paintings. They are just so beautiful. You can get lost in them. Big love to you, Hannah xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Follow @lmwhittaker